The option to choose character gender and skin color

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Black RL, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Black RL

Black RL Registered

Hi!

I'm looking forward to this game, it clicks all the buttons I need, except for one thing, I like to immerse myself in my games, I like to lets say, role play myself into the character.

I'm male, the character is female, nothing wrong with that, I just want the option to change character gender, will I have this in the final game or are you guys locked using a white female lead?

What about skin color?

Anyways, good luck, it looks impressive!

Lynod likes this.
  2. Lynod

Lynod Member

Howdy, Black! Glad to have you! Let's dive into the deep end on this question, shall we?

While customization is always an engaging part of games, it isn't always a right fit. This can be for a multitude of reasons, from story content not meshing perfectly, to the level of time and effort it takes to develop a customization system. While I can't comment on the former, the latter is definitely a concern for our team. No Matter Studios is made up of three guys trying to follow their dream. They're all alone when it comes to texturing characters, designing mobs, and worldbuilding -- a daunting task to say the least! Their funds are not unlimited, either, having a set amount of time and money to complete the game to the best of their abilities. What time they could spend on customization is time that would be taken away from those previously mentioned tasks, potentially leading to an unsatisfying game as they scramble to take care of basics.

In future games, this could definitely be a direction that we explore with more time and resources. We've actually had several asking for customization in the game and I know that we try to be there for our players.

Do you have any other questions, man?

3. Black RL

Black RL Registered

That's a long answer for no.

I understand your arguments, they are 100% valid, but you should consider at least the option to change gender and skin color, not talking about deep customization, something really "simple".

I am in no position to dictate anything, but in the modern world there's little space for products that lack this kind of option, it's a reflex of modern societies where equality between all humans is actively pursued.

You guys are also alienating a huge portion of players, but it's your game, your decisions.

Many thanks for answering so quickly, I wish you all a good release!

4. Lynod

Lynod Member

I apologize for being so long-winded, Black. While I could have given a simple "no", I felt that you deserved something more comprehensive. Your question was legitimate and worthwhile.

I'm afraid that customization, even of a minor variety, would require a decent level of work. A male option, for instance, would require a male character model to be modeled, retoppoed, and then given a specific set of animations to keep it from looking awkward. Costumes would also need to be altered to fit the varying proportions between the genders. This doesn't even cover the inclusion of varying race options which would require more than a simple color swap to implement.

I apologize for not meeting your needs for this game. Inclusion is important in all media, in that it gives heroes to every background, and I hope in the future that we can meet your understandable expectations.

5. Black RL

Black RL Registered

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate complete answers.

I guess you guys should have included it sooner, it puzzles me how a thing like this, gender and skin color, is still ignored in modern times.

This is a game, not a movie or book, it’s supposed to be immersive and interactive, why do we only get white leads? Be it female or male?

Anyway, I don’t know how the game plays but it looks amazing, and like I said, it’s your game, you get to decide what to do with it.

I can only decide what to do with my wallet, good luck again.

Lynod likes this.
  6. simon

simon Registered

It puzzles me how people can be so obsessed with race and gender to be puzzled that not everything is concerned with race and gender.
    Personally, I hate customization and similar superficial "gamey" features. I like to see a pure artistic vision realized, not neutered, watered down and made as generic as possible to appeal to as wide an audience as possible like the trash vomited out by the likes of EA over the last decade.
    I've never had problems immersing myself in a game where the protagonist was not my race or gender and just having a "gender selection menu" would be more detrimental to immersion for me than such an option could ever compensate for.
    I like being thrown in a game world abruptly without warning or distraction. No menus, no hud, just pure immersion.
    The games of Jonathan Blow are a wonderful example of this and The Witness was my greatest gaming experience since shadow of the colossus. I hope this game will follow a similar design philosophy.

SHADOW likes this.
  7. Black RL

Black RL Registered

I guess the protagonist can be a ant for you, or maybe a bear, or even a plant.

To each his own I guess, you’re lucky, you’re always happy with what you get.

If only you were right, if people were obsessed with such costumizarion the industry wouldn’t be like this, white leads everywhere.

I’m glad Wonder Woman and Black Panther were such a hit, not everything needs to be so white (or male).

Loved Shadow of Colossus btw! That’s why I’m here!

8. simon

simon Registered

Yes, absolutely. Banjo Kazooie is still one of my favorite games.

For the most part it seems the ethnicity of people represented in art has about the same make-up as that of the artists producing it/the country they are from. Chinese movies mostly have Chinese leads, Egyptian movies mostly have Egyptian leads etc. You may think one should strive for more diversity. I wouldn't oppose it, but I don't think it's particularly important either.
    This is a completely different issue though. I'd much prefer their giving their next game a black protagonist (with no other options) over forcing customization into this game (especially if it's to the detriment of other parts of the game).

9. Black RL

Black RL Registered

Good for you.

This kind of game is for you, like I said previously I have no intent of imposing what they should do, neither can I.

I wish them luck.

10. TomTrustworthy

TomTrustworthy Registered

While I like having the option to create a character, it really depends on the game and what the developers thoughts are. For tomb raider i wouldn't want the character to be different as this story is about Lara. She has a general look and background.

So if this game has a specific story and need for the character to look like she does then thats fine. IF her look is not required for story purposes then having the ability to change her features would be awesome.

Myon and Lynod like this.
  11. Black RL

Black RL Registered

Good example.

I’ve played all the recent Tomb Raiders, solid games, they got everything right, action, gameplay, story, graphics and sounds.

But I always play them from afar, it’s just not the same for me because I can’t make my own character. I prefer games like Dark Souls for example.