Survival aspects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigmodacon, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Quigmodacon

Quigmodacon Registered

I've looked through the reviews on steam and one of the main issues they have is the survival mechanics. Reading through it sounded as though everything went too fast, you starved faster than you could really find food. As much as I'd love survival in the game with what I've seen, I don't think it should be a very major part of the game, it should be there, and you need to deal with it, but it should not get in the way of enjoying boss fights. One of the reviews mentioned that even in boss fights you could have to pause to eat, which seems a little odd.

One of the major issues I have is weapon durability. While sure it could be there, it should also be different. Maybe your weapon does not entirely break but only becomes weaker, or that at the very least make it take a long time to break a weapon. Weapon durability like what BotW has is the worst. It was my least favorite thing in all of BotW. Weapons broke so fast you had to make sure to always stuff your inventory or you would lose fights.

I've also heard, and seen that the side combat tends to be pretty dull, consisting of just swinging a weapon around while dodging. If side combat is going to be in the game, it should be flushed out in a way that makes it much more satisfying to win battles, and that make the player feel they have some skill.

I am very excited to see the progression of this game, however, after hearing about some framerate issues even on higher end computers I may wait to purchase until the game is optimized a bit more. I can't wait to see how this game progresses, and I am very excited to play it eventually.

Prometheus likes this.
  2. Lynod

Lynod Member

This has me laughing -- not because these points aren't valid whatsoever, but the devs -just- put out a patch to address many of these issues! Please try out Easy or Normal difficulties -- survival aspects have recently been minimized, there is a slow health regen to keep players from a "death spiral," and other items! The game also runs a lot better thankfully, so I think this was the perfect time for you to peek in on us!

As for the "eating during a boss" seeming strange, I would chalk it up to game logic. While this is a game that pits the player against the gods and the elements themselves, there are "gameish" portions as you have referenced above. In Metal Gear Solid 3 this involves the "camo index" and constant switching between small sections. In Monster Hunter, it's stopping mid-fight to do a slow potion drinking animation to restore yourself. Yakuza has money flying out of enemies and Red Dead Redemption allows you to survive several shotgun blasts without any medical aid. These are all great, acclaimed games, but sometimes the "game" portion peeks through. It doesn't make them bad -- it just makes them a game!

Prometheus likes this.
  3. Quigmodacon

Quigmodacon Registered

Oh great! I hadn't realized they had patched some of these! That's great to know.

Prometheus and Lynod like this.
  4. Ujka

Ujka Registered

We are all excited about this game, eagerly anticipating its further progress and development. :D

5. its me

its me Registered

I cant even play it because my character model and npc models are all messed up

6. Tim Wiese

Tim Wiese Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi its me, sorry to hear about that issue. Would you be able to open the pause menu in game and go to "Give Feedback" and send us a bug on this? The more info we have the easier it will be to track this down.

Currently we have a couple known bugs with the player + boss disappearing, some parts of the player stretching out across the screen obscuring view. We have found this to happen mostly with AMD graphics. We are actively working on these issues, although they are pretty tricky to reproduce so the more feedback the better for us to track it down.

In the mean time you may be able to reload the save to remedy it, or restart the game. Users have reported temporary success by doing this.

7. its me

its me Registered

I went to give feed back but I didn't get a message and it takes a screenshot to send it in, first it was just my character. then when I reloaded my saved game it took it off my character and it changed to that first boss thing. then I just closed the game. my character isn't stretching out or disappearing it just has these long lines coming off of the shoulder its hard to explain.

8. Lynod

Lynod Member

Hey, that's perfectly fine -- it's still something to tackle and try to fix. Keep reporting this stuff to the devs. I know they're happily jumping on top of it!