Destructible Bosses as you weaken them?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SirEarlGrey, Feb 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SirEarlGrey

SirEarlGrey Registered

So I just watched a playthrough of the first boss and it was very cool. I appreciate you immediately subverting the player's expectation of being able to climb its legs, forcing them to ascend the tower.

Anyway, one thing I thought about while watching the fight was the addition of destructible parts to the giant. The first boss is rotten and falling apart but it doesn't suffer any damage when the MC shoves the "gong pistons" into its week points three times over.

It would be cool if small sections would crumble after the third impact, not only giving the player a sense of accomplishment but also clearly showing that they'll have to look elsewhere to inflict more damage. Finally, it would add weight to the gong pistons, making them feel like they could actually topple giants (like Kratos' Hit Stop design in God of War).

Another thing which could be nice is when the player is climbing the tower and finds the brazier near the top. I'm sure most players will stop here to warm up so its a great opportunity for the giant to lash out and break the thin stone wall and topple the fire. This would add to the sense of urgency of the battle while also avoiding the player camping while completely protected from the breath attacks.

Eric_L8s and Prometheus like this.
  2. Prometheus

Prometheus Registered

Yeah, something like that would be super cool. A lot of work has to go into even smaller things like that, but that seems like a really cool feature and would definitely add to the immersion/realism of the game. Who knows though, maybe they are already planning on something like this for the full game.

SirEarlGrey likes this.
  3. Lynod

Lynod Member

Those sound like very cool features! I can't speak as to what the devs are doing currently, but I would love to see that in game! I'll point them to this thread so that your thoughts can (hopefully!) influence their design!

Prometheus likes this.
  4. Quigmodacon

Quigmodacon Registered

This would be a cool idea, but I feel that it could be seen in a different way. Looking at the cave paintings and all the ropes around the colossi, it definitely feels like they have been fought (and at least subdued, if not defeated) in the past, and the colossi have just regained strength and come back. The gongs feel like they are something that these ancient fighters added into these beasts to draw power from them and feed that magical pool in the temple. After beating a boss they kinda emit light/energy, maybe this is the power being drawn into the pool.

So to give that feeling that they need to go somewhere else to do damage maybe show energy already start flowing forth out of the gong/piston. Since most of the pistons tend to be fairly spread out, you could see them as centers of power on the colossi that are being tapped for energy.

5. Lynod

Lynod Member

Honestly, I love all the theory and speculation that's been going on with the game. People are so passionate and interested -- I can't wait to see what interpretations arise. I definitely dig what you're throwin' out there, Quig!