Ballista grappling hook to defeat Bird Boss

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SirEarlGrey, Feb 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SirEarlGrey

SirEarlGrey Registered

So I had another thought while watching a playthrough of the Bird Boss. I felt the first giant was a little more inspired in its simplicity than this one which resembled its SOC counterpart a little too much (although the fireballs were amazing). I think with a few tweaks and better integration with the grappling hook, this could be an awesome boss.

So first things first, I feel the introduction of the grappling hook was done way too early and didn't feel impactful. Same goes for the gliding cloth. I like when a game introduces a new mechanic, then forces me to use that mechanic for the next section of the game with an increasing level of difficulty (think of Bash during the Ginso level in Ori and the Blind Forest). I think a great way to test a players mastery of the new mechanic in PFTG would be via a giant battle.

To honest, you did this already with the first boss and the climbing/grip mechanic, but let's expand this philosophy to the grappling hook and Bird Boss. For example, reward the player with the grappling hook after the first boss is defeated. Make the first boss arena is inescapable without the grappling hook, forcing the player to immediately use and comprehend the new mechanic.

Then increase the complexity by adding light puzzling to the grappling hook, then combat. Make it in a way that the player can still succeed if they don't use the hook, but rather they will have a significant advantage if they do. Ramp this up by combining this is pre-existing mechanics and finally, have it culminate in a boss battle.

Now here's where the Ballista comes in. Have the Bird Boss arena as a circle surrounded by 4 obvious "gong pistons" (my name for the glowing things you push). Each one powers up an ancient piece of machinery encrusted under the ice (maybe 2 to lift it into position and another two to spin sparking generators to build up a charge).

Once all four gong pistons have been activated, the player will see a clear slot to insert their grappling hook in a central position. Not sure if the player should target the swooping bird or if the aim should be automatic via cutscene but essentially the giant ballista should hit the bird and ground it, allowing the player to push the only gong piston on the birds head and defeat it.

If the player takes too long, the bird free's itself and the 2 generator gongs have to be reset to recharge the ballista.

I know its a little long winded and to be honest the gliding cloth might be a better mechanical fit for Bird Boss. However, I definitely there's a way where PFTG's unique mechanics can be more versatile and exciting if each one is paired with a boss.

Lynod and Prometheus like this.
  2. Lynod

Lynod Member

Thank you so much for believing in the vision of PftG! I love how inventive your mind is to try and make this game so much better -- while we don't have a ballista, have you tried the ground option to bring the Crowdragon to your level? You might find it somewhat similar!

As for the grappling hook (along with other elements), the devs may agree -- they seem focused on giving a bit more of a tutorial nature to certain pieces of the game to help players. Here's to it resembling your vision, Earl!

Prometheus likes this.
  3. its me

its me Registered

I found out almost how to bring the dragon down, I found the two (gongs) on the small pillars which brings up a 3rd one in the middle but all I saw on there was flames at the top even tried to get the dragon to attack it/shoot at it and looked on it for stuff but nothing =( I knew it was for something though

4. Lynod

Lynod Member

You were almost there, Me! There is actually a cave that acts as a sort of tutorial to this battle -- I can see how missing it could cause you problems! When you are standing right beside the fire, try drawing your bow.

You should know what to do with the rest. ;)

5. its me

its me Registered

I also found that cave and got the same thing I did on the dragon, I knew they connected some how somewhere but I also just left that cave scratching my head lol also the one where the water drains on a timer and you have to light the little torches now when I go back there ill try a fire arrow and see where that gets me ;)